Monday, July 19, 2010

I'm a nervous wreck

It has been a while since I last wrote. I was not dead, nor did I quit the 3 Day, but my family did experience a crisis that put everything on hold. When I say everything I mean EVERYTHING. I stopped training, and fundraising, I just wanted to focus on my family first. Once things settled down and things started to go back to normal I realised that I wanted to walk more than ever. I started picking up the items I still needed, started walking again, kicked up the cross training (which I continued through everything) and bought my second pair of new balance shoes. I booked the hotel for Thursday night, the host hotel was full so we are staying at their sister hotel down the street.

My mom switched to the crew a few months ago and my husband just recently made the change to Camp logistics. They were in need of strong men that didn't mind hard work and heavy lifting. Which is exactly what my hubby does for a living, so I will be walking alone this year. OK OK I know I'm not actually alone, I'm walking with thousands of other people. I am a naturally shy and I suffer from anxiety so I am overwhelmed and nervous about going without anyone I know. But at least my family/team will be with me at camp.

The closer the event gets the more nervous I become. I'm sure that its only because this is my first walk. I don't know what to expect other than what I have been told, and I am walking without my team now. I find my self stressing about everything. What to pack, what to carry on the walk, will it all fit? Aahhh. when I bought my "waist pack" (yes I refuse to call it a fanny pack) I didn't keep in mind the things I would have to carry other than the drinks. So finding ways for it all to fit as been a challenge. As silly as it may sound the biggest problem I had was sunscreen. I burn really easy, and knowing Cleveland there is a good chance that it will be HOT and sunny...or raining and cold all in the same day. I wear a SPF 90 spray on no rub sunscreen. But the bottle doesn't fit in my pack. So I bought a travel size of lotion, but I realised that I wont have the guts to ask a stranger to rub lotion on my back (I'm wearing a tank top) So I really needed the spray. Go ahead and laugh now. This is all very petty, but to me it was important. So after trying out a lot of other options I found a neoprene beer bottle holder that zips up. So the sunscreen went in there, and clipped onto my pack. But then it was bouncing every step I took. (you can laugh again, I did) So I finally found the armband for my Ipod and strapped it to the pack,still clipped of course. It may look silly but it works. One problem down 50 more to go.
In my pack, is 2 water bottles, sunscreen, bandaids, moleskin (pre-cut), wet wipes, socks, chapstick, bodyglide, camera, 2 extra batteries and my cell phone (poncho and flip flops if it rains- but im not sure where that will fit) I plan on carrying some cash, but that will go with my credentials. Dont forget to use ZIPLOCK bags to put this stuff in. Nothing worse than a wet cell phone or camera...and bandaids dont stick well when soaked.

I am trying to relax, and keep laughing through all this stuff. This is supposed to be fun and I caught myself turning it into something its not. I read the underground guide to the 3 day, that Larry wrote. Which if you haven't read it you need to. He talks all about packing too much. I am trying to carry only what is necessary. I am taking advise from all the veteran walkers. I'm sure I'll be fine if I just relax. :) So when packing take into consideration the forcast for your walk. Carry only what you really need to, and the same goes with your bag at camp. And if you are walking in Cleveland, come find me i'll be looking for someone to walk with :D


13 comments:

  1. Please don't be nervous! I walked in DC alone last year and the people I met were WONDERFUL!! You won't be alone for long, I promise! I roped a friend into walking in Chicago this year and though I'm looking forward to seeing and being with her, I'm also looking forward to making new friends along the way. Last year's walk was life-changing for me... life-affirming... it restored my faith in hope in humanity. I hope your experience is similar. Good luck and don't worry... you'll be just fine!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll do great!!! I'm a first-time walker in Atlanta this year and I'm nervous too. But I know the huge 3-Day community will embrace you and support you. YOU ROCK!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please don't be nervous...you'll make me nervous! ;o) This is my first walk too. I am having trouble with training because work and HOT keep getting in the way, got to get back on it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tina... I am so excited for you as a first time walker. I will be walking my fifth 3-Day in Boston this weekend and I'm overcome with excitement! Don't pack too much in your "waist pack" because they have a lot of stuff along the way that you will be needing. I packed WAY too much my first year and was regretting it. Go out, have fun, meet new people, and ENJOY!!! You will come out of your shy shell.... there is something about the 3-Day that makes everyone an extrovert. Have fun!!! Great job for doing what you are doing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a first time walker, too!!! I've been stressing about the same issues, trying to get work stuff out of the way, and logisitics, but it's great to read what you wrote...I know I'm not alone! :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So..so proud of you! It's hard to walk alone!I walked my first walk last summer and found a friend immediately! We are still communicating today. I wanted to tell you that I noticed your socks in your picture. Belaga socks are the BEST! I walked in them last year and they kept my feet cool and I walked all 60 miles without getting a blister! If you are still stressing about your pack, Bodyglide makes a travel glide that comes in individual packets and it's more like a cream or something. I used it and it worked great, along with baby powder You'll want a swiss army type knife and square of mole skin because you never know what size your blister may be!
    You are going to be great, you are going to be thankful for your friend and be thankful for every step you take. Enjoy your moments of silence that lead to thoughts of your friend! Good luck in your walk in Cleveland! Take a moment to soak it in within the last couple of miles! Just enjoy...good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This will be my 6th walk and I still think about what to pack. What I learned though is that at some point EACH day, you WILL walk by a 7-11, KMart, gas station or some other place where you can run in and purchase what you just realized you forgot. I guarantee that you will start talking to other walkers because they will talk to you and that you will find this to be a wonderful, life changing experience! The Underground manual has excellent packing tips, follow them and you'll do just fine! BTW, I love the ingenious way you fixed up your pack!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Other commenters have great feedback for you, but I just thought I'd send you a big wish of encouragement - I'm a first timer too, and I'm nervous too. I feel your worry! But I'm trusting what everyone is saying - it's all going to be ok because the event is just so fantastic that it can't be anything other than ok!

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Feel free to look for me or any of my teammates (Tickled Pink). You'll be just fine! My first walk was last year, and even though I was in a team I walked by myself because I was slower. You will meet lots of friendly people on the walk - I promise!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounds like you have everything under control. This too will be my first walk (DFW in Nov) which means I have time but I have to say each time I see someone say something about one of the earlier events my heart just flutters with happiness and nervous. I just keep telling myself that thousands have gone before us and next year we will be veteran walkers. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tina, I'm a first timer walking in Cleveland too. Don't be nervous, just excited!! If you see a Pink Gypsy walker, come and say HI. I'm "Gypsy Rose" and my team mate is Monica, and we're quite friendly. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. best of luck to you Tina! Can't wait to read all about your walk and see the pics! Makes me anxious for October to get here :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You'll do great! Like other experienced walkers, I have to say the danger is in packing too much stuff -- not going without. You'll definitely want moleskin for training walks, but they have tons of moleskin (and super adhesive spray) on the event, so you can probably take that out of your pack if you want. Would you REALLY walk in flip-flops if it rained? Maybe save those for camp rather than carrying them with you (definitely take the poncho). And really, if packing is your biggest problem, it's not much of a problem, right? :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete